Getting to be a senior is a funny thing. The activities we used to take for granted are getting more difficult, but we want to stay active. For those of us who dislike exercise but still want to maintain a level of physical and cognitive fitness so we can actively engage in the community, there is hope!
Let’s look at what motivates us to maintain our fitness levels as we get older – the ‘What’s In It For Me’ approach. Ask yourself:
- Am I prepared to get involved in some form of exercise if it will help me retain my strength and balance?
- Can I expect to get more than strength and balance?
- Is it good for my brain?
- How often am I prepared to do it?
- How long do I want to spend doing it?
- What is likely to happen to me if I decide not to retain fitness?
- Do I want to do this on my own or with other people?
- What is available in my area?
There are probably many more questions that will come up as you think your fitness level and how it might fit into your lifestyle. If you have any questions you would like answered, please Comment